12 August 2009

Turns out....

Turns out that in the following sentence, from the last post, I was merging two fruits:
I remember seeing some spiky melon that I think ends in -iya when I lived in San Diego.

Thanks to flickr.com user Mixed Masala, we can see them side by side:

On the left, the thing that I thought ended in -iya but is actually -oya (cherimoya). On the right, some spiky melon (kiwano).

I didn't see these strange, exotic fruits while in the city.

(Insert big eyeroll at my expectations...)

I found them yesterday at my supermarket in the 'burbs.

1 comment:

  1. kiwano is super bright green inside and supposed to be slightly bitter. you roll them like you do a lime to loosen the juice, then cut them in 1/2 and squeeze the innards into your mouth. you do not chew, just kinda swallow the slime. the seeds are not digestible, but they come out in the end (badum-ba-chah). yeah, i got ten kinds of interested in the kiwano a while ago for some reason.

    seriously, my security word was "diricali"

    ReplyDelete