13 August 2009

Comfort food


photo source

I'm nearing the end of a pretty trying 10-day stretch. There have been some lows, but to be fair, some highs too (including meeting extended family in Boston). This afternoon, I only had a few minutes to concoct something to eat between finishing errands and leaving for work at 3. It was raining and at only 70 degrees felt a little chilly (how pathetic, I know), so I wanted something comforting...

I cooked a Chinese stir-fry last night and made extra rice. There were leftover garlicky-gingery sautéed veggies from something else a few days ago. Perfect.

After I mixed those and heated them through, I cracked an egg over the top, stirred it and put a lid on the disgusting-looking mixture, then took the dog out. (I'm all about being efficient.) When I came back in from the rain, the egg was cooked perfectly. Added a little sriracha and soy sauce and I was set... (Then I made an egg for Leo. He's the most spoiled dog ever, I swear.)

I'm not sure why I have an Asian comfort food. It's not like I had a sweet little grandma whipping up congee for me (although mine did have lemon drops). You'd think it'd be something like mashed potatoes and beef stew or something, with my Euro-mutt roots. Of course, those sound good too.

Lately, some readers have e-mailed comments to me... Why not post them instead and share your favorite comfort foods? I'll make cookies for the most unusual one.

2 comments:

  1. Fried rice sounds amazing right now. I'm really into Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake; it's really easy and quick (for a baked good), and there are so many variations. Caitlin made a coconut/carmel/pecan GBC. http://recipes.pauladeen.com/index.php/recipes/view/gooey_butter_cake/

    But I think my all-time fav comfort food is nachos. I'll spend an exorbitant amount of time preparing them (black beans, chicken, tomatoes, guac, green onions, salsa, and of course cheese) because every chip has to have a little of everything on it. I'm of the "perfect bite" philosophy when it comes to eating--it annoys everyone around me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh how i miss cheesy mashed potatoes. seriously, it's sad. it was cool in cali b/c i got to go to jimbo's naturally and get some vegan cheese. did i make cheesy mashers? no, it was too warm. but seriously, my mom came up with something equally awesome - bread salad. cubed sourdough (oh how i'd love some right about now - damn germans have saurbraten but no saurbrotchen!), shredded basil, i cubed up some vegan mozzarella (surprisingly good - fooled kaylin), good olive oil and balsamic vinegar then salt and pepper. apparently it was supposed to have cucumber too - mom forgot to tell me that when i made it.

    ReplyDelete