22 April 2009

Beacon Bites: Homespun Foods


Salami(I think?), provolone and caponata panini and carrot cake, Homespun Foods, 232 Main St., Beacon, NY; www.homespunfoods.com

Despite success with the vegan bread, I was having a really awful day, and wanted something kinda fancy-schmancy for lunch, with something sweet too. The awesome Japanese place doesn't take cards, and I didn't want to stop at the credit union for cash, so Homespun it was. This place is rockingly busy on the weekends due to its proximity to the art museum and inclusion in Beacon writeups in the Times, and usually a little sleepier on weekdays. Well, that'd been my prior experience. It was hopping at 2:30 on a Wednesday with about 20 women and four guys (but two, photographers, quickly left).

I've never had anything bad here, but nothing jumped out at me from today's specials. The salami, provolone and caponata panini sounded swell, and was a little cheaper than the consistently-to-die-for quiche. There are usually more desserts to choose from, too, but from today's choices of chocolate-enrobed brownie, carrot cake, and a poppyseed (probably lemon, too) bread pudding, I went with the carrot cake. The Mexican chocolate pudding, made with almond milk, sounded good but it looked like the pre-portioned servings were all in to-stay dishes, and I wanted to get back home to my puppy.

The panini was okay. It probably would have been better if I'd eaten it there, as the cheese got the way melted cheese gets when it cools for a bit. The caponata was different from any I'd had before, occasionally screaming "OLIVE! INCOMING!!" with each little green chunk. I don't really love salami, but I forgot that before I ordered it.

The carrot cake was interesting too - in a good way. The icing had a subtle citrus tang. A little nuttier than I like, but I know that's the breaks with carrot cake. The icing-cake ratio was a little high. I guess I wasn't expecting the layer of icing between cake layers. On the other hand, when the woman working asked which piece I wanted, I said "corner," so that'd explain the preponderance of icing as well.

I'd eat them both again, although I probably wouldn't order the sandwich again. But that's only because I know you can't go wrong with the quiche and its accompanying salad. There's a patio out back, and it'll be nice to sit out there the next time I'm not in a hurry. The service is always friendly, and usually efficient. I'll probably be back this weekend.

A note on Homespun's desserts: The Nutella-cherry bread pudding I made for New Year's was a ripoff of their chocolate-cherry bread pudding. I've also made my version of their caramel-apple BP. They've had ginger-pear BP too, and while it was good, I don't think I'll be trying to replicate it any time soon. Just Sunday, B and I had a lemon tart and chocolate espresso cookie. Next time I'll try to take pictures before Leo laps up the last crumbs (of everything but the chocolate, of course).

P.S. - This awesome plate was among kitchenesque Xmas gifts from B:
I love this plate for everything...

No comments:

Post a Comment