05 January 2009

New year, new (well, two months old) kitchen, new blog post


The first things I unpacked? Wine glasses and Larousse Gastronomique, parting gifts from my Trib family...


Despite the kinda-success of my actual resolution of cooking dishes from a different country every week, execution of the blogging portion (can't remember if that was part of the resolution) SUCKED.

Since reading so many stunningly beautiful food blogs, with amazing photos, it has become really hard to post my lo-res camera phone pictures. It's like, why bother? Everyone's done this, and they've done it prettier. And it's been intimidating to try and catch up on the backlog of projects - I just realized that today, January 5th, it's been one year since the Italian kickoff. Unbelievable.

I moved again November 1 to a great apartment in a great town, and have been cooking a pretty fair amount with the boyfriend, B. He loves to cook and eat as much as I do, except he's a little more adventurous and a little more confident that his adventures will turn out tasty. (He's usually right.) He makes the best breakfast burritos ever.

He and I hosted Thanksgiving, and his parents and brother came down. We made these caramelized root vegetables (sans dried currant sauce, which sounds pretty damn good), two pumpkin pies and an apple pie, and a cranberry relish, whose recipe I got from my Aunt Judy last December when my family organized a "Chris-giving" during one of my rare trips back to SD. There's nothing like Christmas by the beach... (Really, this is where I grew up. That place is a block and a half from the beach.)

This blog kicked off with a little bit of a yoga tirade, and although my passion for it hasn't dropped off, my practice certainly has. Without that point of reference, I never would have gotten where I am today, physically/geographically and mentally. I've been to two classes since moving to Beacon. This first one I did in a studio in six months (maybe more) was on Thanksgiving Day. It was for my friends and family who helped me get to this point too. Cheesy, but true.

I know I always say this, but... Updates to come. I promise. They're already in a draft post. For now, though, I need to do some groceries. :)


Nutella bread pudding, again, but this time with dried cherries! For New Year's Day brunch in Ithaca with Katie and Jon.

3 comments:

  1. that made me giggle out loud, at work. i didn't know you read me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy crap! you posted! looks like it's time for a new camera then, huh? nutella bread pudding, huh? i'll have to look into that one.

    ReplyDelete