16 July 2009

Dinnertime...


I made this killer sandwich before I left the apartment today. Multigrain bread from the farmers market, hummus, veggie cream cheese, avocado (just a teensy bit overripe), ripe tomatoes, sharp white cheddar, lettuce, and leftover tuna that B was brilliant enough to put capers in.

Some of that spicy cranberry mustard that's hanging around in the fridge woulda been good, too.

It was warm and kind of smoggy today, so I just wanted fresh flavors, you know? I ate an apricot on the way to work, and a juicy white nectarine once I arrived at 4. By 5, I'd eaten the sandwich. It's freezing cold in the office. So, as usual, despite my best intentions, the dinner order came a-calling...

You know how when you're cold, you want hearty, fortifying foods? It could be 100 degrees outside, and if I'm at work, I'll be craving chili and cornbread because of the office's sub-Arctic temperatures.

So tonight, colleague E and I spearheaded an order effort from Ambadi, a White Plains takeout spot. It's nice to get out of the Mexican/ribs/Chinese/Uno's/any-of-several-Italian-places rotation. From the write-up the paper gave it upon its September 2004 opening:
The restaurant, which is named for the birthplace of Krishna, is a modern take on Indian, and offers small plates of street food like Bombay chaat, samosas, tandoori and korna.

I'm not sure what "korna" is... but I hope the chicken korma ordered by a co-worker turns out tasty. (This reminds me of how much I miss food editing. Sigh.)

an appetizer called samosa chaat, which reminds me an awful lot of something else, called kosta kachori.

vegetable biriyani

2 comments:

  1. wow that sandwich looks yummy! it's funny how i immediately made it edible for me not seeing the cheese and making the mayo some tofu mayo concoction :)
    the biriyani looks good too. i can't wait to go stateside for some more food options!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it wasn't mayo, it was hummus... and the mayo that i do have at home is soy-based anyway, by earth balance. :)

    ReplyDelete